freeflyguy

Cranky Xaos Cutaway, Video

I figured I would show all my cutaway from Perris last Sunday. It is a Xaos 98 loaded at about 2.1

It was a normal skydive, stable deployment, but when it began to inflate, it was obviously not happy. Not spinning up, but dancing hard and rotating fast. I tried to counter with rear risers and looked at it. I thought I may have lost a toggle. It was worse than that, so I got rid of it. All was fine then.

My conclusion, after looking at the video, frame by frame, and talking to people is that both brakes were unstowed, either on opening (not likely) or, more likely, my packing error. That in itself may have caused it, or the extra brake line may have caused a tension knot that kept the nose closed.

If anybody with experience has any other thoughts, I wouldn't mind hearing them. Otherwise, just enjoy watching my wild ride. Oh, and pack carefully.

http://www.northwindrigging.com/storage/Cutaway04.wmv

Edited to say, I don't know why it doesn't want to be clicky, but just copy and paste into the title bar, and it should work. Now clicky. Thx A.

----------------------------
bzzzz

What altitude did you deply at and what altitude did you end up under reserve??

I had a similar experience on a Batwing years ago when I was in a big hurry and forgot to set brakes, dumb dumb dumb but learned a lesson from that. Canopy was a slow opening one to begin with and I got into the habbit of just watching it. This opening was really slow and I ended up deciding to really pull down on both rear risers before getting ready to chop. The canopy finally decided to open. Not pretty but opened and then I noticed the breaks were not set. After that I would watch the opening to be sure it was not twisting up on me and then give a little tug or pop on both rear risers when I was ready for the canopy to open.

That method worked great to speed up the opening when I wanted/needed it to. I would have to say that a considerable level of input was needed though (in comparison) for opening with the breaks not set.....

Oh well, live and learn!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

i always wondered what it would look like to deploy with both your breaks unstowed. :P

I made about 100 jumps in a row with the brakes unstowed, no problems... Reason being: it produced slower openings to this briskly opening canopy (very docile and lightly loaded 7-cell). No problems with unstowed brakes though :)
P.S. I used flat packing.

Hey Scott;

It was about 3.5 I dumped it and saddled under a reserve 10 seconds later, so probably around 2.5.

I did have my hands on the rears, and maybe could have opened it with a little more work, but it wasn't looking good, and was going fast. I can see how that could work though. I really wasn't so sure what happend until I slowed the video down to frame by frame. Even then, I can't say for sure.

So from your post, that would make sense that the brakes weren't properly stowed on mine?

bzzzz

Obviously you know as you jump it but it seemed to me that that was not that long to play with it. My canopy takes longer to deploy than the time from pull to chop on that vid. What was it specifically that made you chop it? What is your hard deck?

Love the whoop!

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Obviously you know as you jump it but it seemed to me that that was not that long to play with it. My canopy takes longer to deploy than the time from pull to chop on that vid. What was it specifically that made you chop it? What is your hard deck?

Of course I can't speak for James, but I'll tell you from my own experience with 2 cutaways that sometimes you just realize it's not worth fighting it. He was out in Perris at the time, so I'm assuming there wasn't a lot of risk with losing his main with the open areas they have out there. I would have done the same thing.

Just because you have a hard deck, it doesn't mean you have to go all the way down to it before you decide to chop.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I won't secon guess your decision, cause you made it safley to the ground.

Did it twist up at any time? I couldn't see any incidence of that on the video.

I've made a few jumps on canopies with the brakes unstowed, some good, some wild, but haven't had to chop one yet. I find they usually snivle a long time and often pressurise in an uneven manner.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Obviously you know as you jump it but it seemed to me that that was not that long to play with it. My canopy takes longer to deploy than the time from pull to chop on that vid. What was it specifically that made you chop it?

Specifically. In the time it took to decide to chop it, looking at the video, I did two 360's to the right, the nose was coming through the lines, kissing the tail, It was starting to swing me horizontal. Not all the way open, so probably still doing at least 70mph straight down. You'll notice too, when I chopped it, it threw me into another 360 the other direction.
That gives an indication of how violent the ride was. I have around 400 jumps on that canopy, and there was no question that it was in a bad way. It wasn't a case of it trying to pressureize, and seeking a heading, like those canopies do.

Saying the brakes were unstowed is hindsight. Sitting under it, it seemed more like I had broken a line. I can say now, it may have been caused by an unstowed toggle, or tension knot. But that is 5 days after.

As far as hard deck, and playing with it more. To me, Hard deck is for a low speed malfunction. When is the lowest I would chop. In this sit, it was fast and violent enough that it could have in an instant spun up, possibly preventing a cutaway. So, not it wasn't spun up, and yeah, above my "hard deck" But I had better things to do than play with it.

As far as the unstowed brake thing. I really meant to ask if anybody had any specific knowledge of that type of canopy, at a similar loading doing something like it. I ask, so that I may have a better knowledge of what it really was. We never stow the brakes on our Icarus tandem canopies. So that in itself isn't the issue.

bzzzz